Subject: Re: My 5000/25 decided to freeze
To: Chris Tribo <ctribo@college.dtcc.edu>
From: Mauricio <supremedalek@hotpop.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/15/2003 12:16:00
At 21:19 -0400 10/13/03, Chris Tribo wrote:
>On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Mauricio wrote:
>
>>	I had it running for a few days (less than a week).  Twenty
>>  minutes ago I went to open a ssh to it.  Nothing.  I try then use the
>>  console.  Nothing.  Telnet.  Same.  So, I have to manually reboot the
>>  beast.  What could be causing that?  HD going boink?
>
>	Improper/no SCSI termination,

	I have only the internal SCSI HD, a *huge* quantum Maverick
540S.  Since it has its resistor packs, it should be terminated; I
hope that is what the machine expects.  About the external connector,
must it also be terminated?

>overheat,

	Will check that once I put the parts back in the machine and
let it loose for a while.  What kind of temperatures should I expect
and where?

>dirt, dust, failed power
>supply fans,

	Fan seems to be working happily

>flaky power supply, bad motherboard, dirty contacts,

	Cleaned!

>bad RAM,

	I do believe (fingers crossed) it is good.  I may try my old
ram and see if there is a difference though.

>EMP, nearby lightning strike, Saint Elmo's Fire, noisy power, George
>W. Bush, and sun spots!
>
>	Seriously though, clean and reseat everything, failing that, wash
>with alcohol and don't blow yourself up doing it.

	Would dancing around it help too? ;)