Subject: Re: nfsnetbsd.gz / buggy PROMs
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Jean-Pierre HOFER <jph@stephenson.net.dhis.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/09/2003 16:30:09
> 	That documentation appears to be outdated. Just netboot
> netbsd-INSTALL.ecoff.gz (un gzipped) from ReleaseName/pmax/binary/kernel.
> Or do you have a buggy PROM?

Yes. I have KN02-CA V2.0m.

And the documentation (http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/pmax/board-list.html#proms)
says :

	KN02-CA v2.0m Does not TFTP boot files more than 1MB

BUT :  this DECstation is booting effectively the 'netbsd-INSTALL.ecoff'
via bootpd/tftpd over the network, and this kernel is a 4412384 bytes file.
Therefore, the documentation is not accurate in respect to the PROM
revisions.

> lso, contrary to the documentation,
> Gregory McGarry(?) has written a two stage booter for netbooting
> some machines with PROM problems. I was expecting to find it in
> arch/pmax/tools but it isn't there. He posted a message to this list
> saying that it was commited, but I do not know if it made it into the
> release tree or it's only in current.
>
> 	Chris

This two stage netbooting, or a 'nfsnetbsd.gz' small ecoff kernel,
is not needed for the v2.0m PROM. For the others buggy PROMs, I don't
know.

Jean-Pierre