Subject: Re: Prestoserve module
To: Collin Baillie <tifkat@no1.com.au>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/03/2003 12:50:07
"Collin Baillie" wrote:

> Is the unsupported state of the prestoserve modules in the pmax boxen due to
> lack of interest or lack or hardware in a developer's possession?

I've got a few of the DS5000/2xx modules lying around, as well as the
embedded prestoserve in the 5500's.

> What advantage would there be to having prestoserve modules supported in
> NetBSD?

It's primary use was for NFS write acceleration (as others have pointed
out).  NFSv2 doesn't have the concept of "write now, but commit later"
like NFSv3 does.  Using Ultrix NFSv2 clients talking to both Ultrix and
Solaris NFS servers at a previous job we saw a speed-up by a factor of
10 with prestoserve enabled with a largish GIS application.

As Manuel mentioned, this is far less of an issue when you can use
NFSv3.

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/