Subject: Re: Prestoserve module
To: Christopher Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Maciej W. Rozycki <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/02/2003 12:17:58
On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Christopher Tribo wrote:

> 	Lack of any real gain and lack of documentation. The way I
> understand it Legato owns the code and documentation from the Ultrix days.
> Maybe users on the VAX port would have some further insights.

 I can provide hw details for the 54-20948-01 (MS02-style) board if
someone is going to write code to handle it.  The board is very simple.
There is 1MB (+ECC) of SRAM, of which 1kB is used by the firmware for
diagnostics (and may therefore get trashed).  Within that 1kB, 8 bytes are
used as status words passed from the firmware to driver software.  Then
there is word-sized Control & Status Register that defines two bits
reporting battery health and enable status.  A special magic sequence can
be written to the register to disable and a less magic one to enable the
battery.  That's all.

 The firmware supports the board in the last slot only, but if a driver
ignores status words as defined by the firmware and does detection and
diagnostics itself, it may use such boards (up to 14) in any slots, except
the first one, which has to be an ordinary DRAM board.