Subject: Re: MI tape problem
To: None <daniel@bicho.synchrodesign.com>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@tappedin.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/25/2003 15:34:57
Daniel Senderowicz said:
> Hi guys,
>
> I switched a while ago to the MI kernel (in 1.5.2) and since then
> I never had a chance to use the tape drive (tk50). Today I found
> some troubles that I didn't have with the old kernel 1.4.2. In the
> console I'm getting messages such as:
>
> st0(xasc0:5:0): Sense Key 0x05, data = 07 00 00 00 00 00
> st0: block wrong size, 20 blocks residual
>
> Is that something in the hardware or some configuration that
> hasn't been properly done?

Looks like you probably have the drive configured for 512-byte fixed
blocks and the file on the tape is a different size.  You might try
something like this:

mt -f /dev/nrst0 rewind
mt -f /dev/nrst0 stblk 0
dd if=/dev/nrst0 of=tapefile bs=20b

(The "20b" block size passed to dd is based on the "20 blocks residual"
error given above.)

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
entropy