Subject: Re: DEFTA
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/15/2003 11:36:08
Lord Isildur wrote:

> so, i put a DAS defta in a ds5k260 the other day... running an older
> version, netbsd 1.4.2. It configured the defta and seemed to understand
> what it was. ifconfig was a bit finnicky but that, too, could configure
> the device and it seemed to work. I connected some cables up to it to
> loop data from the tx to the rx jacks, and went to send some pings
> through it. oddly, i couldnt do this properly. a few packets could get
> through, but then i saw that this was being printed on the console very
> frequently:
> fta0: Halted: halt code = 6 (DMA Error)
> fta0: Link Unavailable
>
> and then shortly after,
> fta0: Link Available
>
> any ideas? has anyone else used the fta driver on a pmax with success?

At my old job I had a point-to-point network between a /260 running
Ultrix and a /240 with NetBSD (1.4.<something>) with DEFTAs.  From
memory, I only saw a "Link Unavailable"/"Link Available" pair of
messages during a boot and none thereafter.  So it used to work
ok with a NetBSD of the vintage you're using.

I don't know enough about FDDI to know if using a loop like you are
would cause problems.  Can you connect two boxes together and try that?

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/