Subject: Re: diskless pmax on 1.6
To: j wehrli <j@wehrli.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/18/2002 22:02:40
Hi,

j wehrli wrote:

> My goal is build a generic kernel (not an install one) that I can use to
> run some diskless pmax off a larger file server.

This works quite well.  I have two or three pmaxen running like this
(well, when they're turned on).

> I understand pmax PROMs can only boot ECOFF format kernels.

Correct.

> So I went
> off to build the kernel.....which built successfully but I could not
> find the place in the config options where I can get the Makefile to
> specify that I want ECOFF and not ELF. So I am right back where I
> started with an ELF generic kernel (although I did get to build my first
> NetBSD kernel)

The kernel build process should build both an ELF "netbsd" kernel and an
ECOFF "netbsd.ecoff" kernel for you.  The ECOFF kernel is make with the
elf2ecoff command (or nbmips-elf2ecoff if you are cross-building).

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/