Subject: diskless pmax on 1.6
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: j wehrli <j@wehrli.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/18/2002 00:57:27
Hi folks,

I am netbsd user-type not a hack master so please be understanding if I
am clueless. I understand netbooting for installs and I can netboot fine
for installations using the standard ecoff install kernel provided via
ftp.netbsd.org

My goal is build a generic kernel (not an install one) that I can use to
run some diskless pmax off a larger file server.

I understand pmax PROMs can only boot ECOFF format kernels. So I went
off to build the kernel.....which built successfully but I could not
find the place in the config options where I can get the Makefile to
specify that I want ECOFF and not ELF. So I am right back where I
started with an ELF generic kernel (although I did get to build my first
NetBSD kernel)

Can anyone direct me to the output type (elf vs. ecoff) setting
location  in the kernel compile config files?
Is there a better way to produce the ECOFF versions derived from ELF
kernels?

Cheers and thanks
Joe Wehrli