Subject: Re: VXT-2000
To: Louis Wevers <hadsjikiedee@xs4all.nl>
From: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/15/2002 11:46:44
Here is what you desire....
ftp://webserver.midamerica.net/pub/

Grab the boot image, place it on your /tftpboot/mop directory renamed to the
MAC address.SYS i.e. 08002b3fa560.SYS (keep SYS capitalized!)

mopd [interface]
but I recommend a read of the man page on mopd!

fro the >>> all you should have to do is type 'b' and enter, that's about
it!

Now...here is MY *personal* notes on the VXT2000(+)...

Once you get it booted, you can set the IP and all sorts of things, which
are stored on some NVRAM.

The default window manager is Motif, which is fine.

Launching apps off other systems can take time to figure out.

Compared to a "high end" 486 w/ a VLB based video card, the VXT2000(+) is
slow, but VERY usable!

I tried to figure out how to get the thing to accept a XDM session and I
don't think I ever did.  Remember I said that Motif was the windowmanager?
You can disable this and put the unit in the typical X dappled look mode and
from another system do a 'twm -display 10.10.10.10:0' which is the 2nd best
thing to XDM, in my opinion.

Here is the down side of disabling the VXT's built in Motif wm...you can't
re-enable it! Well I have figured out how...   This is especially bad if you
set a static IP and you want to change it, since the application for
changing the IP is ONLY accessible (that I've found) via a right click on
the VXT's Motif desktop and launching it!

So I have 18Meg (loaded) VXT2000+ which works great...taking up space in my
closet,  because I can't change the IP...unless someone knows how to reset a
VXT2000+...

jam