Subject: Re: test
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/11/2002 14:01:54
On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:41:37PM -0500, Lord Isildur wrote:
=> hmm, didnt it get broken somewhere in 1.4 and not get fixed until quite
=> recently, something with newer wscons kbd and mouse support instead of
=> the specific use of the serial lines directly?
=> hmm, i want to give 1.3 a try with X on a 5k240!

Actually, that reminds me: we also had a DECstation 5000/240 in our
lab running X, and it was running some flavour of NetBSD 1.4-current.
I say "was" because THEY had the machine surplused because it was
using space in our server room "needed" for a shiny new Dell x86
"server" running RedHat something-or-other. :-(

(That 5k/240 was the very one that prompted a post by me about whether
"uptime" started outputting "years" after it crossed the 365 days
barrier.  We had to power it down a couple of days short of that
milestone for some temporary physical re-shuffling before I could find
out.  In the end, I peeked at the source code and discovered it
doesn't...:)

I was sad to see them get rid of that 5k/240.  It was reliable as
hell.  It even stayed up during a power glitch when *everything* else
rebooted.  I don't know what they use for power supplies in the
5k/240, but it sure was good!

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu