Subject: Re: About creating a bootable CD for pmax
To: Sonnie Hook <sonnie@ustc.edu>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/04/2002 11:39:03
decstations are almost as peculiar as suns are about what cdroms theyll
boot from. The 512byte sectors requirement applies, but there is often
some other idiosyncracy by which some decstations (or even revisions of
the roms) will or wont boot from an otherwise acceptable cdrom. Now,
having said that, i have booted both vaxstations and decstations from a
20x toshiba, so at least _some_ toshibas of the past several years'
vintage will work. give it a try, the worst that happens is that it
doesnt work..
Once, when i hadnt a cdrom that a decstation 5k200 i was trying to
install would boot from, i just loaded the cd on another machine, and
dd'ed it to a spare hard disk, and booted from that.

happy hacking,
isildur