Subject: Re: Summary: DECsystem 5500
To: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/30/2002 18:00:48
Hi !

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Brian Chase wrote:
[DS5500 console processor]
> Wow, this truly is disturbing, but in a /good/ way. I'm be curious to
> know which flavor of VAX CPU is being used, what it is clocked at, and
> how much memory it has available to it.  This console processor might be
> a candidate in the `slowest VAX' competition between the MicroVAX-I and
> the VAX 11/{730,725}.

Quite possible. It needs somewhat between 10 and 20 minutes to boot an Ultrix
kernel from CD-ROM :) My information is saying something about CVAX, but it is
not further defines, what it really is. And the VAX and RISC parts share common
IO-ranges, mapped to different addresses. So running 2 systems in parallel will
not work without large resource-sharing effort, but running NetBSD on the VAX
part should be possible and might be a very cool gag. I will analyze this
further.

...Michael

--
http://www.bsdfans.org/     Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX