Subject: Re: wscons crash on 3max (5k/200)
To: Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal@eyal.emu.id.au>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@interlude.eu.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/22/2002 20:01:02
Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal@eyal.emu.id.au> wrote:

> I wanted to start using my xserver, which seems to work, so
> I went on to get a browser. Not finding one I built dillo
> from pkgsrc (nice system) (took over a day to complete the
> build) but it failed to run (the X server crashed).

I'll arrange for you to send me a core dump. Web browsers, particularly
Netscape and Mozilla (due to the way they render), will not work well with
your graphics board, because of its abysmally slow main memory -> screen
transfer rate.

Witness the difference in your x11perf output:

 126000 trep @   0.2006 msec (  4980.0/sec): 100x100 rectangle
   3600 trep @   6.9976 msec (   143.0/sec): 100x100 tiled rectangle (17x15 tile)

3% as fast as drawing a rectangle.

> I now ran this test, and it crashes the server:
> 	-deepcopyplane10
> with the message as below.

I found the bug. It doesn't show up with 32-bit color, which explains why I
didn't see it before.

> Also, at some time during the long x11perf this was logged:
> xdm in malloc(): warning: recursive call.

Strange. Need to know more about your machine's memory usage at the time.

Andrew