Subject: 1.6 install
To: port-pmax list NetBSD <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal@eyal.emu.id.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/16/2002 09:31:07
I decided to fire up my 3max and install 1.6 to see if I can set up
an xserver. I have a few questions.

I found that the install doco is very out of sync with what the
install actually needs or does. So my first question, is anybody
still preparing this document? Who is the maintainer?

I managed to install (dhcp/tftp/ftp) in the end.

Now I wanted to set up X (never done it on NetBSD before) and
the doco refers to /use/X11R6/lib/X11/doc which I did not
find (and I did install all the sets).

I then tried 'startx' and it said it could not find /dev/fb0. I
guess one should configure this for the actual graphics on the
machine - I have a PMAG-C (PX) which the install says is
supported, how do I configure it?

Another side issue, on the first boot I tried to add a new user
but this failed very quickly saying something about not being able
to get a lock "file already exists". Sorry, the machine will
not boot right no so I cannot give the extact message. Which
leand me to the last Q...

Finally, but most important, I think my machine is losing its
nvram. The reset button often does not work, and today if came
up once with all settings missing (asked me for language first
up). Can I do something about it (is there a battery somewhere)?
If the machine gets generally flaky (locks up intemittently) is
there something common to look at?

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal@eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.org/eyal/>