Subject: Re: what's the `dmesg' mean?
To: Sonnie Hook <sonnie@ustc.edu>
From: Ulrich Teichert <krypton@ulrich-teichert.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/23/2002 12:15:22
Hi,

>hi, I connected a ScanMaker II to /260, following is the output of `cnfg':
>DEV	PID				VID		REV		SCSI DEV
>4	ScanMaker II	MICROEK	5.09	SCAN

So, it's on SCSI ID 4.

>the 1.6E kernel gives such messages:
>asc0: sync transfer rejected: target 4
>asc0: unexpected disconnect; sending REQUEST SENSE
>asc0: sync transfer rejected: target 4
>asc0: unexpected disconnect; sending REQUEST SENSE
>sd1 at scsibus0 target 4 lun 0: <, , > SCSI0 0/direct fixed

That's odd. The driver detects it as something with a direct access mode,
like a hard drive.

>asc0: sync transfer rejected: target 4
>sd1: async, 8-bit transfers
>asc0: unexpected disconnect; sending REQUEST SENSE
>asc0: sync transfer rejected: target 4
>asc0: unexpected disconnect; sending REQUEST SENSE
>sd1: mode sense (4) returned nonsense; using fictitious geometry

Of course it has no geometry....

>asc0: sync transfer rejected: target 4
>asc0: unexpected disconnect; sending REQUEST SENSE
>sd1: 16352 MB, 16352 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 33488897 sectors

And this won't help.

>asc0: sync transfer rejected: target 4
>asc0: unexpected disconnect; sending REQUEST SENSE
>
>I'm sure about whether it is the problem of the ScanMaker or the RX23 floppy drive.

The SCSI driver can't cope with the scanner, it seems. I must
confess I never tried to attach a scanner to one of my DECs, has
someone else done it.

HTH,
Uli
--
Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de
Stormweg 24               |listening to: Can't Stand Losing (The Sewergrooves)