Subject: Re: Addendum: More on compiling openssl-0.9.6e failed on pmax
To: NetBSD pmax <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Uwe Lienig <Uwe.Lienig@fif.mw.htw-dresden.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/09/2002 15:38:12
I got this reply from Paul Mather:

> On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 11:25:50AM +0200, Uwe Lienig wrote:
> => Hi folks,
> =>
> => Originally I tried to install cyrus-imapd which in turn requires openssl-0.9.6e
> => to be installed. Since the system has been installed from scratch there was no
> => entry for openssl-0.9.6e in the pkgdb. NetBSD itself comes with ssh that needs
> => ssl. The libraries are installed in the default place (/usr/lib/libcrypto.so).
> => So basically the compiling and linking of imapd went fine since the needed
> => libraries are in place (I checked with ldd).
> =>
> => For reference see
> =>
> => http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-pmax/2002/08/08/0000.html
> =>
> => I tried to get the version from the installed libcrypto.so but after lurking
> => around for a cmd that would give me the information I couldn't find one (the lib
> => in /usr/lib is named libcrypto.so.0 - not really a version number). Is there any
> => way to find out the version of an installed library?
> =>
> => Now I'm wondering what feature is missing in imapd, that is provided by the
> => openssl-0.9.6e?
>
> FWIW, I think most ports requiring the use of the SSL libraries will
> use the "buildlink" makefile in pkgsrc.  This will attempt to use the
> "best usable" version of the library.
>
> As an example, when I previously installed the ap-ssl package from
> pkgsrc, it built against the native libraries.  However, when I
> re-installed ap-ssl recently, it decided to install and use OpenSSL
> 0.9.6e from pkgsrc instead---presumably because I had not yet done a
> buildworld to fix the security problems in the native SSL I had
> installed, whereas the current version in pkgsrc was known to be fixed.

Thank you Paul.

This would imply I should get openssl-0.9.6e compiled and installed. Up to now
this failed.

Is there anybody who can help me out of this situation ...

> BTW, this is on NetBSD/alpha, but I presume pkgsrc works the same
> across all architectures.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul.

TIA

--
Uwe Lienig  | fon: (+49 351) 462 2780 | mailto:uwe.lienig@fif.mw.htw-dresden.de
            | fax: (+49 351) 462 3476 | http://www.fif.mw.htw-dresden.de
HTW Dresden | parcels: Gutzkowstr. 22 | letters: PF 12 07 01
   -FiF-    |          01069 Dresden  |          01008 Dresden