Subject: Re: Compiling openssl-0.9.6e failed on pmax
To: Anton J. Gamel <gamel@anna.anatomie.uni-freiburg.de>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/08/2002 13:33:31
On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 11:21:49AM +0200, Anton J. Gamel wrote:
> Re Uwe,
>
> On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Uwe Lienig wrote:
>
> > ... 5000/133 with NetBSD-1.5.2. ...
> > ... install cyrus-imapd. ...
> > ... This is the error I get. I suspect libcrypto.so.300.0 is not complete.
> hm ...
> > ... dlopen (and the others) may be undefined! So,
> > what should I do to get rid of this problem.
> The problem is cyrus NEEEEEDS to have shared libraries!
> (Since cyrus is used for heavy loades servers usually)

You seriously misunderstand the issue.  Whether shared libraries are used
or not, the single image of all read-only pages in cyrus (e.g. functions
that come from libraries, whether dynamic or static) is shared between all
running copies of the program.

In fact, using shared libraries is a *bad* idea on a heavily loaded server,
because it makes each invocation of the daemon take much longer to start.