Subject: Re: More stupid installation questions
To: Mauricio <pingouin@bellsouth.net>
From: n0-1 <n0-1@gmx.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/18/2002 14:32:31
> >  > Q3: Where are the packages?  I know they are not in
> >>  ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.5.2/pmax/All:
> >I don't know about binary packages, I always compile the stuff myself
> >using the automated build system in /usr/pkgsrc...
>
> I am confused, but then again I ahve not slept yet.  Care to
> elaborate? =)

Well, the pkgsrc-system is a set of Makefiles configured to download
the sources for the package you want to install from a mirror site.
It's generally a good idea cause you don't need to search for the
apropriate packages or sources..but installing from binaries is faster,
and sometimes pkgsrc tries to download it's sources from _very_
slow hosts, then it's faster to download these sources manually
and copy them in the distfiles-directory, where pkgsrc can find them ;)

Another advantage of the pkgsrc-system in difference to compiling
the sources by hand, is that you get an entry somewhere, so "pkg_info"
finds them, which offers you the choice of _really_ fast uninstalling them
;)

additions are welcome ;)

greetz, n0-1