Subject: Re: More stupid installation questions
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Mauricio <pingouin@bellsouth.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/18/2002 05:08:48
At 09:34 +0200 7/18/02, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>On 2002.07.18 03:46 Mauricio wrote:
>
>>  Q1: My 5000/20 is booting.  So, when it gets to the network stage it
>>  burps the following:
>>
>>  Starting network.
>>  Hostname: katri
>>  add net 127.0.0.0: gateway 127.0.0.1
>>  ---------> Up to here I have no problems
>>  add net fe80::: gateway ::1
>>  add net fec0::: gateway ::1
>[...]
>This is IPv6, Internet Protocol verion 6. The next generation protocol
>for the Internet, current is IPv4. Look at http://www.kame.net/
>Don't care about it if you don't know about it. ;-)

	Well, I think I will spend some time learning about that,
between beers that is ;)

>  > Q2: the decstation is alive and I can telnet out of it without a
>>  hitch (I telneted to my sparc 20 running Solaris 2.6).  Now, let me
>>  try the opposite:
>All unencrypted services like ftp and telnet are disabled in
>/etc/inetd.conf for security reasons. If you want them, uncoment the
>aprporiate line in /etc/inetd.conf and HUP inetd:
>kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`

	That was kinda what I ended up doing so I could get more than
one window/terminal on the machine at a time (and have the machine
recognize my terminal ;).  Then, I went over and beated sshd into
sumbission, watched it build up its key pairs (I still had a temrinal
program connected to the dec through the serial port), set
niftytelnet to use blowfish, and all was well. =)

>I see you already found out how to enable sshd... :-)
>You know that you have to member of the group "wheel" to be allowed to
>su(1) to "root".

	Actually the machine *gently* mentioned that when I tried to
su for the first time ;)

>  > Q3: Where are the packages?  I know they are not in
>>  ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.5.2/pmax/All:
>I don't know about binary packages, I always compile the stuff myself
>using the automated build system in /usr/pkgsrc...

	I am confused, but then again I ahve not slept yet.  Care to
elaborate? =)

>  > Q4: I noticed there is already a netbsd 1.5.3 directory in the netbsd
>>  site:
>>  Does that mean that 1.5.2 is already old and current is 1.5.3?
>1.5.2 is old. 1.5.3 is only a bugfix release for 1.5.2, so it is old
>too. 1.5.2 is still the latest official release, but 1.6 is close to be
>released. Maybe you should read:
>http://www.de.netbsd.org/Releases/formal.html
>http://www.de.netbsd.org/Releases/release-map.html
>http://www.de.netbsd.org/Releases/current.html
>--

	Sounds like my timming was not the best, huh?  Oh well, I can
wait a bit before getting this machine to do real work, so any update
will not annoy me that much. =)