Subject: Update on stupid installation questions
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Mauricio <pingouin@bellsouth.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/18/2002 00:49:16
At 21:46 -0400 7/17/02, Mauricio wrote:
>Q2: the decstation is alive and I can telnet out of it without a
>hitch (I telneted to my sparc 20 running Solaris 2.6).  Now, let me
>try the opposite:
>
>SunOS 5.6
>
>login: raub
>Password:
>Last login: Wed Jul 17 21:20:50 from 10.0.0.12
>raub@kudria>ping 10.0.0.12
>10.0.0.12 is alive
>raub@kudria>telnet 10.0.0.12
>Trying 10.0.0.12...
>telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
>raub@kudria>
>
>Does that mean it is configured not to accept telnet (safety) or
>telnetd is somehow not installed?

	I was looking at inetd.conf and *every* single service is disabled:

% cat inetd.conf
#       $NetBSD: inetd.conf,v 1.35.2.5 2001/04/06 00:40:59 he Exp $
#
# Internet server configuration database
#
#       @(#)inetd.conf  8.2 (Berkeley) 3/18/94
#
#ftp            stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd
ftpd -ll
#ftp            stream  tcp6    nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd
ftpd -ll
#telnet         stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/telnetd    telnetd
#telnet         stream  tcp6    nowait  root    /usr/libexec/telnetd    telnetd
#shell          stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rshd       rshd -L
#shell          stream  tcp6    nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rshd       rshd -L
#login          stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rlogind
rlogind -L
#login          stream  tcp6    nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rlogind
rlogind -L
#exec           stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rexecd     rexecd
#uucpd          stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/uucpd      uucpd
#nntp           stream  tcp     nowait  usenet  /usr/libexec/nntpd      nntpd
#finger         stream  tcp     nowait  nobody  /usr/libexec/fingerd    fingerd
#finger         stream  tcp6    nowait  nobody  /usr/libexec/fingerd    fingerd
[...]

Now that is all nice and peachy for security reasons, but there are
no replacements for those services afaik.  For instance, how to get
ssh alive to I can telnet to this machine using ssh (blowfish
ecnoding, to throw one my telnet program can handle)?