Subject: Re: ?FNF: 3/tftp/
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@opentech.co.jp>
From: Mauricio <pingouin@bellsouth.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/17/2002 15:11:36
>Hi,
>
>>  >FNF == file not found, one of the most common occation of errors.
>>
>>  Oh, I understand now.  So, for some reason my TFTP server is
>>  not giving out the netboot kernel to the 5000/20, right?
>
>Right.  MAXINE was notified to proceed downloading by BOOT/DHCP and
>then requested TFTPD to get the file.  At that point, TFTPD could not find out
>the expected file there.  TFTPD sent back NACK to MAXINE.
>
>>   Just to make sure, what is the filename it expects the kernel to be?
>
>You have to specify the filename in bootptab (or dhcpd.conf) correctly.  The
>file must has ECOFF format, not the same kernel file on / directory.
>
>If you are capable of doing tcpdump to monitor the wire , it provides useful
>clues.  Default decoding size of tcpdump is too small to see BOOTP
>transaction;
>better to use -s 300 or some.
>
>Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology

	Thanks for the suggestions!

It turned out that I forgot to configure the netmask in the bootp
server to 255.255.255.0.  You see, I was not using a unix box as
bootp/tftp server.  Instead I am using a Windows 98 machine for the
deed (ok, it is actually a Virtual PC section in my Macintosh ;).
Reason for that is that I wanted to see if I could do that, perhaps
even write down a how-to so others will be able to repeat the feat
with an easily-found Windows machine. =)