Subject: Re: NFS funzies
To: DECstation <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/16/2002 17:19:54
On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 06:28:14PM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> the solution is to try and do a umount -f on the filesystem.  keep in
> mind that this does the trick under LINUX not NETBSD, so it of course
> may not work for you, but is definitely worth trying.

no dice...  the reason I ask here is that this is the first time I've
had trouble with NetBSD.  I expect it with linux, but it's never been a
problem under NetBSD before.

> the interesting thing to note however, is that umount -f never
> actually unmounts the filesystem, but somehow clears the error and
> things end up working as they are supposed to.  odd.

it hangs, but is interruptible with control-C...

goldberry# umount -f /amd/aragorn/usr/projects
nfs server aragorn:/usr/projects: not responding
load: 1.65  cmd: umount 19051 [nfsrcvlk] 0.00u 0.23s 1% 80k

I wish I knew what to kick in order to free things up.  if I wanted to
reboot machines to clear errors, I'd be running windows... ;)