Subject: Re: compiler bug?
To: Daniel Senderowicz <daniel@bicho.SynchroDS.COM>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/16/2002 09:52:49
Daniel Senderowicz wrote:

> I've been getting similar error messages when building a couple
> of packages, they are:
>
> /tmp/ccRFnumn.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/ccRFnumn.s:679: Error: Branch out of range
> /tmp/ccRFnumn.s:1490: Error: Branch out of range
>
> After talking with some people who had similar problems, it was
> suggested the possibility of the existence of a GNU compiler bug.
> Is anybody aware of that? If so, is there a fixed version of the
> compiler? Thanks in advance.

In a nutshell, some function is too big.  Sometimes this can be fixed by
generating better code (eg, a recent example where with no optimisation
the code was too big, but worked ok with -O), or at worst rewritting
some code.

Which package are you losing with?

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/