Subject: Re: PMAG-F console driver woes
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <locore32@gaea.ocn.ne.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/30/2002 00:04:32
Although I can not provide any solution for you...

Henry R. Bent <henry.bent@oberlin.edu>asked;

> px0 at tc0 slot 1 offset 0x0: 3D, 5x2 stamp, 24 plane, 128KB SRAM
>
> Is the SRAM statement really correct?

I guess so.  The SRAM is used for i960 local memory as well as
command storage which holds request/reply between CPU and i960.

> I have 4 memory modules on the board,
> so does that really mean they're only 32K each?

It sounds like PX video memory, which is independent from and inaccessible
from CPU.

> But on to the bigger problem.  The console driver gets somehow out of sync
> with scrolling lines.  For instance,

PX 2D/3D video card was sorta enginneered monster of that time.  It was a
pretty complex device built with a lot of hardwares even though it was
a product of  "(then-) maturing RISC age."   Andy might have solutions for you.

> Another quick ignorant question: how easy/hard would it be to have this driver
> recognize that the card takes up three slots?  Isn't it using all 3 for I/O?
> I mean so that it would say something like "px0 at tc0 slot 1 2 3" at bootup.

PX consumes a single TC option card _address range_ although it might
consume 3 or 2 option card _physical space_.

Toru Nishimura