Subject: Re: 5000/25 crashes
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: None <nemholt_jf@tsm.es>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/26/2002 17:44:14
It dies even at the prompt (without running the self test), and when
running the self test it dies at random stages. Cooling it down doesn't
seem to help...

I've had it for several years and in the beginning it ran OK, but the
started to die more and more frequently, and now it's usually within 10
minutes.
When I'm lucky I can jsut get to a xlogin before it's dies, but as long as
it's alive everything works OK.

The motherboard is clean and I've had all chips in sockets plus CPU board
taken out and put in again to ensure good contact.

I'll try and look for another one at work (CPQ/Digital). Unfortunately they
recently moved the offices here in Madrid, so most of the old stuff is
probably gone forever.

...else I'll just have to settle for NetBSD on my VAXStation 3100/M38s. I
have 3, but no graphics, no 19" monitor, no mouse and less memory (which is
why I prefer the 5000/25).

/Jesper

26/02/2002 17:30
"Peter C. Wallace" <pcw@mesanet.com>

Destinatarios: nemholt_jf@tsm.es
CC:       port-pmax@netbsd.org
Asunto:   Re: 5000/25 crashes

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 nemholt_jf@tsm.es wrote:

> Hi!
>
> My 5000/25 crashes quite often. I think I've ruled out the 4*8 MB RAM I
> have, since it crashes at the prompt even without any RAM.
> I've disconnected the graphic card, the floppy disk, the harddisk and the
> AUI to 10-Base-2 NIC converter. Still crashes.
> All chips in socket has been given an extra squeeze. Still crashes.
>
> It's not temperature related. Sometimes it happens just a few seconds
after
> turning the machine on, and sometimes it'll run fine for several hours.
>
> Any idea about what's wrong ?
>
> I assume some hardware defect on the motherboard...which probably means :
> Anyone want to sell a 5000/25 motherboard or CPU board ;-?
>

> /Jesper

I suppose the on-board 8M RAM (or cache or CPU or ??) could be bad, Have
you
tried running the built in self tests over and over?

The 5000/25 can be reliable (with NetBSD!):

doober:/usr/users/pcw> uptime
 8:16AM  up 184 days, 19:57, 2 users, load averages: 0.14, 0.10, 0.08

(doober is a 5000/33 with 40M)

I can give you a spare MB and/or CPU but shipping is likely a problem...

Peter Wallace