Subject: Re: 5000/25 crashes
To: None <nemholt_jf@tsm.es>
From: Peter C. Wallace <pcw@mesanet.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/26/2002 08:30:06
On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 nemholt_jf@tsm.es wrote:

> Hi!
>
> My 5000/25 crashes quite often. I think I've ruled out the 4*8 MB RAM I
> have, since it crashes at the prompt even without any RAM.
> I've disconnected the graphic card, the floppy disk, the harddisk and the
> AUI to 10-Base-2 NIC converter. Still crashes.
> All chips in socket has been given an extra squeeze. Still crashes.
>
> It's not temperature related. Sometimes it happens just a few seconds after
> turning the machine on, and sometimes it'll run fine for several hours.
>
> Any idea about what's wrong ?
>
> I assume some hardware defect on the motherboard...which probably means :
> Anyone want to sell a 5000/25 motherboard or CPU board ;-?
>

> /Jesper

I suppose the on-board 8M RAM (or cache or CPU or ??) could be bad, Have you
tried running the built in self tests over and over?

The 5000/25 can be reliable (with NetBSD!):

doober:/usr/users/pcw> uptime
 8:16AM  up 184 days, 19:57, 2 users, load averages: 0.14, 0.10, 0.08

(doober is a 5000/33 with 40M)

I can give you a spare MB and/or CPU but shipping is likely a problem...

Peter Wallace