Subject: CD-ROM Booting Troubles
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Henry R. Bent <henry.bent@oberlin.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/16/2002 03:46:47
Hi all,

I'm having some strange CD-ROM troubles with my /125.  I replaced a dead
RRD-42 some time ago with a Matsushita CR-506 set to 512-byte mode.  It's able
to read and cleanly mount everything I've given it so far, from my burned ISO
of NetBSD 1.5.2 to burned MP3 CDs to DEC Ultrix CDs.  However, I just recently
tried booting the NetBSD CD with it for the first time and got this:

--

>>boot 3/rz4/netbsd

NetBSD/pmax 1.5.2 ISO 9660 Primary Bootstrap
open failed
open 3/rz4//boot.pmax: 6
Can't load '3/rz4//boot.pmax'
open failed
open 3/rz4//boot: 6
Can't load '3/rz4//boot'
open failed
open 3/rz4//boot.pma: 6
Can't load '3/rz4//boot.pma'

--

So I also tried Ultrix 4.4 and OSF/1 V1.0 CDs, both of which gave the same
non-verbose answer:

--

>>boot 3/rz4/vmunix
binit fld

--

Does this mean that the CD-ROM is unable to read boot sectors?  It doesn't
seem like it, because it was able to at least get the Primary Bootstrap from

Thanks as always for any help.

--
Henry Bent                       henry.bent@oberlin.edu
Want the Stars Productions       http://www.wtsp.org