Subject: ls crashes
To: NetBSD/pmax <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Iggy Drougge <optimus@canit.se>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/08/2001 19:21:17
I was running tin, then suspended it and ran ls in my home directory. It took
forever. After a while, I sent several ^C and ^Z sequences, and after another
while, it exited. I could repeat this several times. Then I opened another
telnet session, ran ls there while continuing to read news, and agfter a
while, I got this:
/usr/home/optimus$ ls
bash: xmalloc: cannot allocate 3 bytes (0 bytes allocated)

Then I was disconnected in that session. Tin continues to run.
I was only running tin, installed from the package collection. According to
top, I have:

load averages:  0.18,  0.48,  0.47
04:02:57
17 processes:  1 running, 16 sleeping
CPU states:  0.6% user,  0.0% nice,  0.2% system,  0.0% interrupt, 99.2% idle
Memory: 2768K Act 496K Inact 156K Wired 21M Free 31M Swap 11M Swap free

I'm running 1.4.1 on a 3MAX.

--
En ligne avec Thor 2.6a.

But a graphical client/server model that slices the interface down some
arbitrary middle is like Solomon following through with his child-sharing
strategy. The legs, heart, and left eye end up on the server, the arms and
lungs go to the client, the head is left rolling around on the floor, and
blood spurts everywhere.
   Don Hopkins - The Unix hater's handbook; The X-Windows disaster