Subject: Re: Error compiling 1.4.1 kernel
To: Collin Baillie <sanac@optushome.com.au>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/04/2001 14:21:32
"Collin Baillie" wrote:

> Aye,
>
> I'd say that it's nothing missing. If you look at the error messages, you're
> getting a warning. There's a variable called 'cp' that is defined but never
> used (ie wasting stack (?) space...) and there's a line saying cc has been
> told to treat warnings as errors (and halt the compile process) I'd say it's
> the -Werror option, but don't quote me.. try removing it or read man cc just
> to see, and it should not stop on warnings, but errors will. If there's just
> warnings though, it should compile.

Collin is pretty much right - we enable warnings so that we can catch
errors.  In this case, if the -Werror were disabled and you had any sort
of optimising enabled (-O or -O2) gcc wouldn't even allocate a register
or the stack space for the variable if it's unused.

Changing the declaration of cp to include a check for NRASTERCONSOLE
like the following should do the trick.

	#if NRASTERCONSOLE > 0
		char *cp;
	#endif

If that works please let me know and I'll send a pull-up so that it will
be included in any future 1.4 releases (although I don't know how likely
that actually is).

Also, if you're sticking to 1.4 vintage kernels you might do well
to upgrade to NetBSD-1.4.3 - there's been a number of bug fixes and
security updates since 1.4.1.  You can also track the 1.4 branch to get
any changes since the 1.4.3 release was made.

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/