Subject: Re: 5000/240 memory ECC errors?
To: NetBSD pmax <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Uwe Lienig <Uwe.Lienig@fif.mw.htw-dresden.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/02/2001 16:48:06
--------------BE449D2BA260BAA1FCCEAA5A

Paul Thompson wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Charles Redmond wrote:
>
> > Also note the failure could be due to gunk/corrosion on the pins of
> > the ram slot. I've had this happen a lot.
> >
> > Charles
>
> This is a good point, I have seen a variety of memory errors go away by
> reseating the memory or cleaning the contacts, blowing out the dust, etc.

This is not the only way memory modules may be repaired.

I had a lot of trouble with those mem modules, 32 MByte (MS02-CA) as well as the
8 MByte ones. Sometimes it is needed to reseat the modules. But often I found
that the big connector has got some broken soldering points. If one uses a
magnifier it will be clearly seen. I know that there are a lot of soldering
points. But since those modules are rare, they might be recycled by resoldering
the mem module. Be aware to use a grounded iron since the mem modules kinda
susceptible to electrostatic charge. Sometimes the broken soldering point may be
diagnosed with the finger nails  by grasping behind the terminal tags.

> Coincidentally, my 5000/260 has recently started this as well, but it
> happens so infrequently and doesn't bring down the system so I have not
> worried about it.
>
> Sep 19 08:23:18 namaste /netbsd: CPU memory read ECC error at 0x033bff34
> Sep 19 08:23:18 namaste /netbsd:    ECC 0xb8e7c3f3
> Sep 19 08:23:18 namaste /netbsd: CPU memory read ECC error at 0x033bff34
> Sep 19 08:23:18 namaste /netbsd:    ECC 0x8ce7a600
>
> --
--------------BE449D2BA260BAA1FCCEAA5A

begin:vcard
n:Lienig;Uwe
tel;fax:(+49 351) 462 3476
tel;work:(+49 351) 462 2780
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Forschungsinstitut Fahrzeugtechnik -FiF-;Computer Aided Design and Advanced Simulation Technology
adr:;;Friedrich-List-Platz 1;Dresden;Saxony;01069;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:uwe.lienig@fif.mw.htw-dresden.de
note;quoted-printable:... have you ever seen MicroSoft users smiling ...=0D=0A=0D=0ASysAdmin
x-mozilla-cpt:;-6720
fn:Uwe Lienig
end:vcard

--------------BE449D2BA260BAA1FCCEAA5A--