Subject: Re: serial woes
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@arkham.ws>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/28/2001 09:02:12
At 10:13 AM 9/28/01 -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
>they show up as scc0 and scc1.  which don't exist in /dev since i need to be
>using tty[abcd]

I'm confused by this statement, if you're using tip(1) then the file
/etc/remote tells tip what the serial port names are to use and they can be
dialout[abcd] if you want.

>/dev/ttys shows that /dev/ttyc would be the non-console serial line.  i'm
>guessing that's right?  but on the other hand it's setup to have getty start
>on that line and it never does.
>
>hints?

It sounds like ttys are configured correctly. You need to find out what the
maj/min numbers are for the on board serial ports on PMAX and make sure
that the device entries exist. TO do that I suggest that you connect the
port you're interested in to a PC or something that you know works (a
terminal is even better if you have it available) and then just use 'cat
/etc/motd > /dev/ttyxx' where ttyxx is the device name. That will verify
that you've got the correct device nodes established.

Then edit /etc/remote, create a new line for your tip line by copying one
of the hardwired lines, and then change the device to be the one you need
to use.

Now try 'tip <yourname>' and it should say 'Connected' if it does then
typing will appear on your test terminal/PC and typing on that machine will
show up on your screen. (Real terminals with a loud bell are great because
you can test them by sending them ^G and hearing them beep without having
to see their screen)

As I recall on the VAX port I needed to make new device nodes to get this
to work.
--Chuck