Subject: How to revive an old DECstation 5000/33
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Tiago de Aviz <tiagoaviz@onda.com.br>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/16/2001 13:16:49
Hello folks!

I got a DECstation 5000/33 from a friend of mine, and it's been turned
off for quite a while. Well, i tried to make it run, reseting the BIOS
and all, removed RAM, and the frontal LED doesn't even blink.

Then, i got a "brand new" DECstation 5000/33 motherboard, but my problem
still persists. My old motherboard had some rust here, some rust there,
till i noticed the former motherboard was ruined. This one i got here is
100% OK, it's not possible it isn't working.

I was suspecting that the power supply was my problem, but if i plug the
HD on the motherboard it starts, no problem. Means that the power supply
is working OK. I also got the manuals (Original from DEC!), and they
said i wouldn't get anything if i didn't have a terminator for the SCSI
and AAUI ports. But i mean, the firmare boots up even before that,
meaning that at least i should get the two initial blinks, right?

By the way, i don't have terminators for the SCSI and AAUI ports, and
i'm making a null-modem serial cable here. But first, i think it would
be better to see if the firmware comes up here.

Considering that both boards that i have here have been off-line for
more than two years, what could be wrong? That Dallas Realtime battery
could be discharged or something?

Tiago de Aviz
www.softsell.com.br
mailto: Tiago@softsell.com.br