Subject: Re: Ailing 5000/260
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Henry Bent <hbent@oberlin.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/09/2001 23:48:38
--On Monday, September 10, 2001 12:35 PM +1000 Simon Burge
<simonb@wasabisystems.com> wrote:

> Henry Bent wrote:
>
>> [ ick, a range of problems on a /260 ]
>
> Given the problems, I'd probably try re-seating the CPU module and
> possibly (but less-likely) the memory modules.  Do you have a /240 cpu
> module you can swap in - that would hopefully eliminate either the
> motherboard or the cpu module as a suspect component.

Unfortunately, we only have three /120s, a /200, and my own /120 and /25.
I'll dig the machine out and re-seat everything - it could probably use
a good dusting in there too.

> You shouldn't need to lose any data.  As you said, you have a /120 to
> plug the disks into.  Failing that, you should be able to mount the
> disks on another NetBSD (possibly after tweaking the disklabel).  For
> example, I moved my pmaxen disks to an alpha without any troubles.

Yeah, worst-case I'm sure I could just attach the disks as-is to the /200
we have and use that as an interim server.  I'm wary of placing webserver
loads on anything less powerful than that.

Also, someone replied to me off-list and suggested that I either remove the
RRD42 CD drive (which looked like it might have been causing problems) from
the SCSI chain or move it to an ID 4 or higher.  I'll try that too, and
hopefully I can get a few more years out of the /260!

-Henry Bent
henry.bent@oberlin.edu