Subject: Ailing 5000/260
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Henry Bent <hbent@oberlin.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/09/2001 21:58:09
Dear DECstation enthusiasts,

I was recently recruited by my college's Linux Users' Group to do some
support for their main server, a DS 5000/260 running NetBSD 1.4.1 (OS
comments to yourself :-P )

Anyhow, it was fine for the first few minutes, but then I was running a
pretty standard command ("ifconfig -A" if I recall) and it dumped me out to
the debugger.  I rebooted, ran the full set of tests, and came up with only
the following:

"? TFL: 3/ni/ext-lb (3:(xmt [00000006])) [KN05]"

which as far as I know is just an ethernet error, most likely because the
machine is not currently on the 'net.

possible useful info (these are transcriptions by hand, so the spacing
isn't exact):

--
>> printenv
boot=3/rz2/netbsd -a
haltaction=b
more=0
scsiid3=7
#=3
console=0
osconsole=3
--

ROM is KN05 v2.1k, TC slot 0 contains a PMAD-AA.  rz1 is an RRD42; rz2, rz3
and rz5 are all ST42400N drives as reported by "cnfg 3" (at first... read

So I said "boot" and this happened:

--
>>boot
1468632

KN05 V2.1k  (PC: 0xa002cab8, SP: 0x8070fd50)
--

and then retried indefinitely, producing the same error over and over.  I
noticed that the RRD42 had a CD in it and was being accessed during boot

So... what's the consensus on the problem?  Is it the SCSI controller, or
the RRD42 (my money's on that - flaky pieces of crap), or one of the disks?
I have a PMAZ controller that I can put in the machine, and all of the
disks are loaded into two storage expansion cabs that I could connect to my
DECstation 5000/120 for testing.  I just wanted opinions before I had to
physically get at the machine - it's under quite a lot of heavy stuff at
the moment.

Thanks all, and I hope I can save this.  I wouldn't want to have to get rid
of a top of the line DS or have to lose any of the data on the hard drives!
If any more info is needed, I can get it ASAP.

-Henry Bent
henry.bent@oberlin.edu