Subject: Re: ultrix netscape, gone forever
To: <>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/26/2001 17:27:25
On Sat, 25 Aug 2001, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 04:34:36PM -0700, Bob Lantz wrote:
>
>  > Regardless, application support on netbsd/pmax is lacking in several
>  > areas:  no web browser (e.g. current netscape, mozilla or konqueror,) no
>  > java (e.g. kaffe,) no current KDE (e.g. kfm, konqueror, koffice, etc.) and

there is work in progress by one of the kaffe people on kaffe for
netbsd/pmax although I don't know the current status.

do we know that konqueror or galeon does not work?  I'd try but just don't
have disk space at the moment.

> I have built plenty of packages on NetBSD/mips (not necessarily pmax).
> And I have certainly built many packages on non-x86 systems on NetBSD.
>
>  > Unfortunately, the netbsd "ports" of desktop programs require significant
>  > work to get them to compile on netbsd/pmax, and then additional work to
>  > get them to run. This is reminiscent of Linux, where everything works
>  > great as long as you are on an x86 machine.
>  >
>  > Although vintage computing seems to be my hobby, it is extremely
>  > time-consuming trying to compile anything on a pmax (even my blazing-fast
>  > 260 - fortunately I haven't up(?)graded to the molasses-like netbsd/pmax
>  > 1.5) and it's also difficult set up a cross-development environment on
>  > anything except perhaps another netbsd machine...

this is part of the real challenge in keeping pkgsrc running on pmax.  it
takes close to 2 months to build on a /240 :(

-dan