Subject: Re: ultrix netscape, I don't think so
To: Iggy Drougge <optimus@canit.se>
From: Maciej W. Rozycki <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/26/2001 14:16:30
On 26 Aug 2001, Iggy Drougge wrote:

> OTOH, a while ago, I had another idea - there must be Netscape versions for
> other MIPS machines, namely SGI. I doubt that there is any Irix emulation for
> NetBSD, but it would certainly be a owrthwhile development if it meant that
> we'd get a reasonable web browser for the NetBSD MIPS platforms.

 SGIs use a reverse endianness and while MIPS CPUs can run the
userland in either endianness (the endianness of the kernel mode is
selected via one of pins upon reset, but for the userland you can choose
the desired endianness via a bit in the CP0 status register), writing
appropriate software support is a nightmare -- you need to byteswap all
data passed between the userland and the kernel.