Subject: RE: Dec 5000/120
To: None <matthew.day@jcu.edu.au>
From: Charles Redmond <charlie25@my-deja.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/22/2001 21:50:08
Hi,

ok, you have two options to install netbsd on this box..
1. dd the miniroot image to a hard disk and boot that and install (to another disk is easiest)
2. Netboot the machine using another unix box and an nfs mounted miniroot and tftp/bootp.
Personally I use the second method.
Personal preference: Not flame bait!
I have found any of the netbsd releases past 1.5 to be of marginal use
on pmax hardware. It's too slow.. I would recommend 1.4.2.

This isn't meant to insult/annoy anyone on the list, just a personal preference for me.

To get some more info on the box, once you get to the console prompt
 of >>
type
cnfg
 and I seem to remember cnfg 3 shows most of the hardware on these boxes (might be wrong though).

The INSTALL.txt or INSTALL.html doc normally is a great help. You should be able to get it  from the ftp://netbsd.org/NetBSD/1.4.2/pmax area..
Charles
> Matthew Day <Matthew.Day@jcu.edu.au> port-pmax@netbsd.org Dec 5000/120Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 14:24:05 +1000
>
>G'day,
>
>we have a Dec 5000/120 that i'd like to get going with netbsd, but the last
>people who tried had no success so i thought i'd ask for an install stratigy
>here first this is what i know about the box;
>
>NCR 53C94
>
>eth0?? 74-41143-05  6th Feb 1991 - Rev A01
>prom?? 23-002EB-60   5.7C  491E
>
>any advice help would be great.. i have a frew Linux Debian, FreeBSD boxes
>here as well..
>
>Matt

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/