Subject: Need help with a 5000/240 install
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Dante <dante@azathoth.yuggoth.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/20/2001 22:24:28
Hello, I am Dante and I have a DEC station 5000/240 as well as two DEC
5000/25s (a project for when I have more drives).
I had hoped that my first post here would have been a happier one.
Unfortunately I am having severe problems with the install process on the
5000/240.
I do not have a CD burner to generate install media, and since the system
has the buggy k5.1b prom which will not boot ftp my only choice is to use
an diskimage install.
For the disk image install I have only an x86 machine running linux/win98.
Using the x86 netbsd or openbsd boot floppies I am able to dd the
diskimage.gz to the hard drive for the 5k. Booting any diskimage prior to
the current snapshot my system will lock up (1.5.1 gets the farthest which
is the console selection prompt but will go no farther).
Using the the current snapshot I am able to boot the system and run the
install program.
Ftp dies after downloading approximately 2.2 meg . I tried splitting the
base.tgz and bringing it across in 100k chunks. The kernel traps(panics?)
after streaming approximately 2.2 meg with cat (I think this is accurate,
my calculations show it may very well be 7.06 meg). I tried using ftp to
download the kern.tgz (as it falls below 2.2 meg size limit) to manually
install it, unfortunately it expands to something like 2.6 meg, so the
kernel traps and reboots.
NFS will mount but will not allow file transfers (It is possible it is a
misconfiguration on my part, but since it works on other systems I do not
think so). NFS does not trap and reboot, it  simply locks up the system,
with no error message.
I have tried using the diskimage to setup my system's final label and
slices. Unfortunately these are not recognized by the NetBSD on my x86,
which means I cannot manually set up the packages.
I was hoping someone would have some advice on this problem.
I will happily provide any system information people can tell me how to
obtain, as I do not currently know much about this type of hardware.

Thanks,
Dante