Subject: Re: Netscape or Mosaic?
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/08/2001 01:59:46
[ On , July 8, 2001 at 03:2:15 (+0100), Iggy Drougge wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Netscape or Mosaic?
>
> Are there any other recent open source browsers?

"recent", yes.

Or did you mean "decent"?

If the latter then it depends on what you consider "decent".  I'd
consider "links" decent for many purposes.

The KDE Konqueror isn't bad, but it's a huge enormous ugly unstable pig
too.  It takes far longer to build even just the parts of KDE necessary
to get Konqueror running than it takes to build Mozilla.

Mozilla's OK too, so long as it doesn't crash, but it's also a huge ugly
pig.  Mind you I haven't built a version that didn't crash almost
instantly since 0.7, and I've only run a pre-built 0.9.2 on a very fast
and beefy i386 server (and the latter still eventually crashed).

Amaya works quite well as a proper HTML browser, but doesn't include
many of the fancy user features that are very handy to have when
browsing.

--
							Greg A. Woods