Subject: Re: Netscape or Mosaic?
To: Bob Lantz <lantz@Stanford.EDU>
From: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/07/2001 00:56:21
Bob Lantz <lantz@Stanford.EDU> wrote:
}I definitely remember those messages, but they could have been on the
}DS3000's rather than 5000's. However, I have never had an alpha machine
}myself, only my vintage pmax. There were definitely a number of binaries
}that I copied over from sweet hall, including (as I recall from 1996 or
}so) netscape, xemacs, and the berkeley id tools. I miss Netscape, and that
}fast X server!!

Early Netscape was based on Mosaic, which is why I suggested you might have
gotten them confused.  I still manage 100 or so Ultrix machines (there were
several times more when I first started attending school here in 1993),
we had a fairly close relationship with DEC, and heard nothing positive
about Netscape for Ultrix.  We did (still do) have a netscape script, it
runs mosaic.

A pertinent archive post:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-pmax/1997/11/28/0001.html

If you check out ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/net/infosys/Netscape/unix/
you can see the last versions Netscape allowed people to mirror (begged
people to mirror) before changing their license.

Netscape 1.2's list of supported platforms is here:
http://home.netscape.com/comprod/netscape_nav.html

Ultrix was old when Netscape came out, alphas were the cool new thing,
and as far as I can remember, while everyone wanted Netscape for Ultrix,
if anyone had it, they weren't sharing it publicly.

Proving a negative is impossible... but I would say that it's extremely
rare to find Netscape/Ultrix.  There are mentions of someone having done
a personal port to Ultrix, but no code or binary anywhere I could find.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Project Vincent Systems Manager
gendalia@iastate.edu