Subject: Re: Netscape or Mosaic?
To: Bob Lantz <lantz@Stanford.EDU>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/06/2001 23:30:31
On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 07:36:14PM -0700, Bob Lantz wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Lord Isildur wrote:
> >
> > yes, this was the OSF1 version of Netscape. it ran under ultrix, if you didnt
> > mind a ton of 'fixed unaligned access' errors scrolling by..

I have a lot of trouble believing that.  Digital released OSF/1 for
the pmax only as a developer beta; they cancelled the MIPS machines
and the OSF/1 port to them before it ever became a product.

> Aha! I remember those messages.
>
> % alias netscape netscape >& /dev/null
>
> Although they might have come up on the console - I am not sure...
>
> Digital did make OSF/1 for the pmax, and there were definitely versions
> of Navigator (3.x) for OSF/1.

For OSF/1 on the Alpha, sure.  Maybe even for OSF/1 on some other CPU
architecture -- i860 or x86, perhaps? -- but AFAIK Digital were the
only ones who ever released any version of OSF/1 for any MIPS-based
machine, and that was only a developer beta, and that was several
years before Netscape even existed (or Mosaic, for that matter!) and
the product died before it was even really born.

> Perhaps it will turn up someday, although I am not sure if NetBSD/pmax can
> run OSF/1 binaries, so the point may be moot.

Certainly we can't run OSF/1 binaries for the Alpha.  The only was I can
even imagine an OSF/1 pmax binary of Netscape existing would be if someone
at OSF had built it -- did they run MIPS machines after DEC killed the
port, I wonder? -- and then it'd be a *OSF* OSF/1 executable, in a strange,
alien object format, for a version of the operating system never seen outside
a lab.  Certainly Ultrix couldn't run such a binary.

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron