Subject: Re: DEFZA PMAF-A support
To: Maciej W. Rozycki <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@arkham.ws>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/02/2001 13:20:49
On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 10:07:15AM +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> > Well, that paragraph lies :-)  The DEFZA is totally different from the
> > DEFTA.
>
>  Not totally -- the MAC chipsets used on both cards appear to be
> compatible with each other. ;-)  At least the formats of the packet
> request header are, and the header is visible to a driver.

hmm, so not completely outta the blue, but still a lot of work?

>  The paragraph appears to be completely bogus, indeed.  In particular,
> there is no DAS version of the DEFZA and there is no PMAF-C (DEFZA-CA is
> PMAF-A just like DEFZA-AA; I'm not sure if they are distinguishable from
> the driver's point of view at all).

guess i'll have to find out. :)

> > Well, if you'd like to embark on writing a device driver for it, I can
> > provide some advice.  I think I know where to get a datasheet for it, too.
>
>  The guys at DEC appear to have lost it, if we are thinking of the same
> doc... :-( Also I doubt it documents all the quirks the firmware has
> (well, I have version 1.1 and that's quite old; they might have fixed them
> later, but a sane driver must assume the worst anyway).

hmm.  what is the value of getting this card supported?  am i going to be the
only person using one?  i wouldn't mind doing it for myself, but not if it's
going to be a boat-load of trouble.  although if i will make many people happy
then i am willing to do it even if it is a lot of trouble.

anyway, let me know what help you've got for me!  i guess i'll start by farting
around with the already existant DEFTA stuff and see what i can come up with.
hints are very much appricieated. :)

-brian