Subject: pmax deficiencies (was Re: mozilla-0.6 on NetBSD/pmax 1.5)
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Bob Lantz <lantz@Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/25/2001 11:45:57
On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Peter C. Wallace wrote:

> Dont know what the problem is with mozilla but you are a brave and
> patient person to try and run mozilla on a pmax....

Hmm, admittedly I have a blazing fast 260, but there seems to be this bias
against getting certain useful classes of software running on pmaxen:

 1. Web Browser (Mozilla)
 2. Java (Kaffe)
 3. Editor (XEmacs)

Aren't these just basic useful programs that you would expect to have on
any Unix machine?? There are other web browsers (amaya, chimera, kfm)
which are faster, but they lack javascript and other useful features. [I
haven't tried to build Konqueror, maybe someday...] I don't know of any
good substitutes for kaffe or xemacs on NetBSD.

I have managed to build all three pieces of software: Mozilla mostly runs,
kaffe dies horribly, and XEmacs works almost 100%.

All three packages are relatively *close* to working on the pmax, but they
don't work out of the box. Unfortunately, they are also large and slow to
build (e.g. Mozilla took 300 MB and something like 3 hours - it is a
bloated monstrosity that includes its own implementation of, well, Unix,
basically.)

It's unfortunate though that the NetBSD "ports" of these packages don't
really work on the pmax without some (sometimes significant) modification,

Bob

p.s. I wish I had my old Ultrix Netscape binary... but I think Netscape 3
may have been the last version which was ported to the pmax...