Subject: Re: Turbochannel Card Info
To: Chrischen <cchen@nougat.org>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/11/2001 22:14:02
On Fri, 11 May 2001, Chrischen wrote:

> Does anyone have any info on the PMAGC-A? I have one in my 3000/600 but so
> far have no real idea what it's capable of... It's this rather large
> double-width turbochannel board with those cute circular heatsinks and a
> shit-ton of soldered ram. I know that it'll do at least 24-bit...

	Some manner of 3D accelerated card. It's PixelVision based, and
also called the ZLX-M1 which is considered low end for the PixelVision
line. That RAM is for Screen/Texture/Texel cache, and hardware
Z-buffer. These cards do some amazingly complex things that I am not
capible of explaining/comprehending.
	The PMAGD-BA is called the ZLX-E2 which is a PMAGB-B bundled with
a PixelVision 3D accelerator with no hardware ZBuffer all on one
card. according to http://www.ptc.com/partners/hardware/20/faq/dec_faq.htm

> (Looking in my alpha stuff I'm a little spooked to think how much these
> framebuffers cost new. I've also got this full-length framebuffer in my
> AS600 that has ram covering both sides, and the little 1/8" 3-d glasses
> plug...)

	Heh, I still wish I had me an Alpha

	Chris