Subject: 2100 hangs
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/01/2001 12:55:19
I've got a 2100, a pmin.  I dropped some disk on it and installed off
the 1.4.2 cd, that being what I had handiest.  I'm trying to bring it
up to the same source tree the rest of my machines run...BUT...

...it hangs every time I try to do a make build.  It hangs hard,
usually in the middle of printing an output line if I'm watching the
build, or with no output if I'm not.  And it's not just the serial port
going south, because at the same time it stops answering pings.

I've been unable to get any response at all out of it when it goes into
this state, short of the reset button or the power switch, so
unfortunately I can't tell exactly where it dies.

My first suspicion was thermal.  I opened the case up and have a small
fan blowing directly on the CPU; it still dies.  Part of the reason I
suspected thermal problems is that it will sit there for ages without
trouble if it's idling at the shell prompt, or if it's fscking disks.
But start the cpu cranking (= generating heat), and it falls over
within minutes.  (The last failure, I did a make build and it got as
far as cleandir in usr.bin/make.)

And if - as I suspect - I just have toasted hardware :-(, anyone have a
DECstation looking for a home?

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca