Subject: Re: Continuing TCP/IP Problems
To: Alan Wilson <phyaw@phy.hw.ac.uk>
From: Anders Hogrelius <ahs@hogrelius.nu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/23/2001 08:57:10
On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Alan Wilson wrote:
<snip>
> I did as Manuel suggested and compiled the kernel without IP6 but i'm
> stll having the same problems. Symptoms are if i connect to a host
> external to my network by hostname i.e. telnet host.netbsd.org there is
> a delay of at least 60 seconds before a connection is established.
>
> However if i telnet to an IP address i.e. 100.150.200.232 the connection
> is immediate.
>
> This would suggest some sort of name resolution problem but nslookup on
> a hostname returns an IP instantly. My nsswitch.conf entry for hosts is:
> files dns
</snip>

I've seen this kind of problem when reverse lookup with the dns. I would
suggest that you change the order in nsswitch.conf to DNS FILES instead,
and see if it makes any change. You might also want to configure a caching
DNS server on your local network.

--
cheers,

/Anders

I am Pentium of Borg... -Division is futile!

* Anders Hogrelius       Phone : +46 21 381860
* Tessingatan 12         E-mail: anders@hogrelius.nu
* SE-72216 Vasteras      Web:    http://www.hogrelius.nu/~ahs/
* SWEDEN