Subject: Re: VRC21-HA
To: NetBSD pmax <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Uwe Lienig <Uwe.Lienig@fif.mw.htw-dresden.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/11/2001 09:57:34
--------------4476FC27E5B9BF45153FAA33

Brian Hechinger wrote:
> =

> Michael B=E4rwolff drunkenly mumbled...
> >

> > I had a similar problem. My screen was absolutely blue. I tried to co=
nnect an vga
> > monitor to a PowerMac via an switch able adapter (DB15 > HD15). Now I=
 use an
> > other cable and it works fine.
> =

> i know the VRC21-HA does 3BNC sync-on-green since that is what the PMAG=
 frame
> bufferes use, so that's what the alpha was using.
> =

> it also looks like the VRC21-HA can also do 4BNC comp. sync and 5BNC sp=
lit sync.

We have made VRC-21HA using 5BNC, what in fact works ! Simply remove
back cover, open the connector plate and throw in two new BNC connectors
at the desired place. I don't remember, if there should be some wired
bridges as well, but one 'll see that ( as we saw this not very familiar
with video signalling :) In fact the monitor is a SONY GDM-21 something
which may be used this way as well. I've put this thing onto a PC with a
Matrox somesort an fiddeled a little bit with the modeline of Linux -
but it works fine and is a nice picture - 19"@1280x1024. The only thing
is, that I didn't find a way to set up the Matrox to use this setting
right from switching on the Linux box. So until X has started (which is
the default run level - SuSE - I thing run level 5) nothing may be read
- only some color strings flashing over the screen. But standard VGA
does have a low sync rate which doesn't hurt the monitor. Well, the
monitor does not sync. In case there will be some odd things to the
Linux box I'll have a 15" monitor around to connect to the video port
and see, what happens. But for now this setting works for about 8 months
or so.

> =

> are there any preferences?  is any one in particular better than the ot=
hers (i
> would assume 5BNC for lack of crosstalk) or should i just go for what i=
 can
> find?
> =

> thanks!!
> =

> -brian
--------------4476FC27E5B9BF45153FAA33

begin:vcard
n:Lienig;Uwe
tel;fax:(+49 351) 462 3476
tel;work:(+49 351) 462 2780
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Forschungsinstitut Fahrzeugtechnik -FiF-;Computer Aided Design and Advanced Simulation Technology
adr:;;Friedrich-List-Platz 1;Dresden;Saxony;01069;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:uwe.lienig@fif.mw.htw-dresden.de
note;quoted-printable:... have you ever seen MicroSoft users smiling ...=0D=0A=0D=0ASysAdmin
x-mozilla-cpt:;-6720
fn:Uwe Lienig
end:vcard

--------------4476FC27E5B9BF45153FAA33--