Subject: Re: 240/260 CPU hacking....
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Jared Smolens <jsmolens+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/20/2001 22:46:30
Excerpts from internet.computing.netbsd.port-pmax: 20-Mar-101 Re:
240/260 CPU hacking.... by Brian Hechinger@entropy.
> the KN03 is the /240 and the KN05 is the /260 i believe.  this definitely has
> the mainboard of a /240, don't know if a "true" /260 would look any
differently
> on the inside, although judging from what i know about DEC's thinking
and from

> what i've seen of their hardware they tend to make a few pieces as possible.
> one mainboard for 5 different CPU daughterboards (i'm gonna take a guess and
> say this mainboard is also used for the /200??)

I have a few low-quality pictures of my /260's insides (and a dead /200
motherboard that ended up as a cheap wall decoration) at:

    http://www.rabidpenguin.org/images/dec/

The big silver heatsink is on top of the R4400 and the LSI chip is right
next to it (both on a daughterboard with some L2 cache).

Cheers,

Jared

 | Jared C. Smolens           Electrical and Computer Engineering |
 | www.rabidpenguin.org                Carnegie Mellon University |
 | jsmolens+@andrew.cmu.edu                        Pittsburgh, PA |