Subject: Re: won't go into multiuser mode
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@entropy.tmok.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/08/2001 18:30:27
Simon Burge & Jeff McMahill both said:

> You probably want port-alpha :-)

> Well, you posted to port-pmax, so I'll answer as if that Alpha was
> a pmax... :-)

i really thought i did.  this is my first alpha, all previous machines have
been pmax and vax, so even though i was thinking alpha my fingers typed pmax
(wouldn't be the first time my fingers acted of their own accord, but at least
everybody is smiling *G*)

Paul Mather & Matt Thomas both said:

> It sounds like your BOOT_OSFLAGS PROM environment variable is set to "S"
> (single user boot).  Set it to "A" and "boot" will boot multi-user.
> Alternatively, you can "boot -fl a" to force a multi-user boot.

hammer hits nail squarly on head.  is this a DEC thing?  the sun machine just
came up without telling it anything, but the pmaxes need -a and these things
need -a or the SRM variable set.

Paul Mather also said:

> I'm a firm fan of my DEC 3000/300, especially when the X server was made
> to work (had to use my DECstation 3100 as an X server prior to that).

i can't wait until my PMAGC-BA is supported so i can use that badboy in the
DEC 3000/700 i have.

thanks for the help even if i did post to the wrong list. :)

-brian