Subject: Berkeley-DB v3.2.9
To: NetBSD pmax <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Uwe Lienig <Uwe.Lienig@fif.mw.htw-dresden.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/06/2001 13:49:26
--------------4F9B0A34117C0873FEBD728C

Hi,

I'm planning to use a DS5k/240 as a IMAP/Mail Server for a small
workgroup (20-30) accounts.

Well, my first approach is to use Cyrus-Imap.

First, I scanned the package tree for pmax at netbsd.org - but didn't
find anything - HUH ?

In the past I decided to build the tools from source to see, if there
are any tricks to be done, to get the software running. So I decided the
same in this case.

Up to now I downloaded cyrus-imap-2.0.12, the sasl and Berkeley-DB 3.2.9
(as needed by cyrus).

But I doubt, if db-3.2.9 will interfere with the installed db ( as I saw
in /usr/include/db.h - version ??, but it's not version 3), it might be
harmful to install in the os tree. I'm not really sure, if there are any
installed software, which relies on a db version prior to db-3

Well, it could be installed in /usr/local, which would work. But has
anybody tried to install version 3.2.9 in the os tree ?? I saw from the
package source, that the makefile defines the flag to configure
--program-transform-name=s,db_,db3_, , but AFAIK the package source uses
db version 3.0.55, which I would upgrade to the new one.

What would be the PREFIX to install db-3xx to : /usr.

The next question handles with the IMAP. There's nothing written, which
version is in the pkgsrc. But, I'm afraid, that the version is behind
2.x ??

Any suggestions very appreciated.
--------------4F9B0A34117C0873FEBD728C

begin:vcard
n:Lienig;Uwe
tel;fax:(+49 351) 462 3476
tel;work:(+49 351) 462 2780
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Forschungsinstitut Fahrzeugtechnik -FiF-;Computer Aided Design and Advanced Simulation Technology
adr:;;Friedrich-List-Platz 1;Dresden;Saxony;01069;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:uwe.lienig@fif.mw.htw-dresden.de
note;quoted-printable:... have you ever seen MicroSoft users smiling ...=0D=0A=0D=0ASysAdmin
x-mozilla-cpt:;-6720
fn:Uwe Lienig
end:vcard

--------------4F9B0A34117C0873FEBD728C--